Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Just another day at work

My Office
The view from my office


(trying to have shorter and mroe frequent posts, bear with me as I find a comfortable style)


To say my life has been blessed would be a vast understatement. I can't imagine a better job. I had a wonderful weekend with a guy named Scott who is the business administrator for Ugandan division of African Children's Choir. He really gave me some great perspective on work, efficiency, and productivity from an African outlook contrasted with his previous work as a director for a fortune 500 company. It really settled my mind. I was struggling with the fact that some days here in Africa you just can't get anything you want done, no matter how hard you try. This was throwing me into a mental tailspin and was slightly depressing. Once Scott and I worked through models of work both stateside and here I was much relieved and began changing my view, one of my main goals of coming here.

We also talked about fight club and the soul sucking emptiness of corporate America. More on that later...

Next post will about the anti-homosexuality legislation from an on the ground perspective... and I'll leave you with a quote from my favorite book.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love
God knows...



No comments:

Post a Comment